Apply Now for the Database Analyst Remote Vacancy At UN Women
UN Women, founded on the vision of equality enshrined in the United Nations Charter, works to eliminate discrimination against women and girls, empower women, and achieve equality between men and women as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action, and peace and security.
UN Women’s ‘Making Every Woman and Girl Count’ (Women Count) program aims to improve data and statistics on gender equality and empowerment to help member states implement the 2030 Agenda.
UN Women’s participation in monitoring the SDGs from a gender perspective includes the establishment of the Women Count data center, which was launched in September 2019. The portal compiles gender-related indicators from the SDGs, data from UN Women’s core theme areas, and an updated collection of country fact sheets. The data center also provides bespoke dashboards to showcase various efforts.
A database analyst (consultant) is needed for six months to help maintain the data, update the data as needed, and develop bespoke data visualizations to support gender data stories and other efforts. The consultant will report to the Women Count programme’s Outreach and Communications Specialist, who also acts as the Data Hub Manager. The consultant will collaborate with the development team, site designers, and UN Women’s IT section to ensure that the data components run well. The consultant will also collaborate with Women Count regional and country offices to meet their data visualization requirements on the Data Hub.
Description of Responsibilities /Scope of Work
Under the supervision of the Outreach and Communication Specialist, the consultant will perform the following functions:
1. Maintain the data on the Women Count data hub:
- Maintain the data dashboards of the Women Count data hub (data.unwomen.org), working closely with the data hub development team.
- Ensure SDG dashboards are visualizing the most current data and are using the relevant APIs.
- Ensure the data is updated as per schedule, and spot check to ensure accuracy and timeliness of the data.
- Ensure all data-specific elements on the data hub are running smoothly without errors or bugs.
- Where needed, import data to Excel, conduct manual updates and upload to the portal.
- When new data needs to be incorporated, clean the data and make sure it is in the required format for upload.
- Capture bugs and any technical issues in the issue tracker and follow up with the developers.
- Report technical/system issues to UN Women IST and developers, and monitor the status of these issues, reporting back to the supervisor on a regular basis.
- Provide administrative and coordination support to the outreach specialist in managing and assigning approval roles in IT systems of UN Women related to the portal, including playing super admin role in the database management system.
- Regularly review, analyze and evaluate business and user needs and experience to improve the design, development and implementation of the database.
2. Provide database liaison support:
- Serve as the data focal point with UNSD and relevant data custodian agencies as needed, to communicate regarding data updates and other developments.
- Work closely with IST colleagues and developers to coordinate the database and data requirements.
- Communicate regularly with IST colleagues to provide updates on database maintenance, support, and other relevant issues.
- Provide technical support in data collection, compilation and quality control, including to other UN Women sections where relevant for the data hub.
- Collect and analyze feedback from users to assess the quality, relevance and usefulness of the portal and the data in particular.
3. Develop custom data visualizations and dashboards:
- Produce customized data visualizations to support gender data stories.
- Create custom dashboards and interactive data features.
- Work with different sections to visualize their data on the data hub and support with cleaning the data and working closely with information designers where needed.
4. Support data hub web development and content:
- Build custom web pages on the Data Hub as needed.
- Update web content as required, using the Drupal CMS.
- Support the development and updates of new features as required, working closely with the supervisor.
- Maintain analytics and support in reporting.
- Support the team on other tasks as required.
Consultant’s Workplace and Official Travel
This is a home-based consultancy.
Education and Certification:
- Advanced university degree (master’s degree or equivalent) in statistics, economics, information systems, computer science, ICT, or other related field.
- A first-level university degree in combination with two additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- A minimum of 2 years of experience as a database analyst or similar function.
- Experience with SQL and BI tools (Tableau, Qlik, or similar).
- Experience in Drupal content management system is a plus.
- Experience in statistical analysis and familiarity with SDMX.
- Understanding of SDG indicators is desirable.
- Fluency in English is required.
- Knowledge of any other UN official language is an asset.
How To Apply?
Interested candidates should apply for this opportunity by clicking the Apply here button below:
Join our TELEGRAM GROUP